Sunday, December 08, 2013

The Bethlehem Candle -- The 8th Day of Advent


Today we light the second candle of the Advent wreath. I thought this candle represented "Faith" just as the first candle represented "Hope." However, I did not find agreement for its meaning. Some say "Faith," some say "Love," others say "Preparation." It does appear that most call this the Bethlehem candle. I may end up touching on faith, love, and preparation, but I definitely think of "Journey" when I imagine Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem.



I took a journey with my granddaughters last night...okay, so it was just down the street; nonetheless, the preparation involved 3 sets of mittens, 3 hats, 3 scarves, 3 coats, a set of wool socks (for Grandma), a blanket for the  youngest -- along with a stroller -- and a flashlight. We were taking our annual Christmas Walk Around the Lake. It is a joyous, albeit cold, tradition. The street that circles our local lake closes down for the night so that townsfolk can walk around looking at lights, listening to carols, eating popcorn, drinking hot cider, and greeting old friends (if you can recognize them in the dark). I do not think Mary and Joseph experienced this type of journey, and I can not even imagine what preparation went into their travels to Bethlehem.

All this thinking about journeys and preparations made me realize that my life with Jesus has been a journey beginning with His love for me. I am glad that I did not have to make vast preparations for Him to love me. My connection today with Frank Laubach returns to his May 24 letter and a rather "different" occurrence than most of us are accustomed to.

"...I climbed 'Signal Hill' back of my house, talking and listening to God all the way up, all the way back, all the lovely half hour on the top. And God talked back! I let my tongue go loose and from it there flowed poetry far more beautiful than any I ever composed. it flowed without pausing and without ever a failing syllable for a half hour. I listened astonished and full of joy and gratitude. I wanted a Dictaphone for I knew that I should not remember it -- and now I cannot. 'Why,' someone may ask, 'did God waste His poetry on  you alone, when you could not carry it home?' You will have to ask God that question. I only know He did and I am happy in the memory."

I know I risk losing readers (and maybe friends!) quoting such a mystical happenstance, but what I love about the story is God "wasting His poetry on [Laubach] alone." It truly sounds like something God would do. His love is so extravagant that He would gladly waste His poetry on each of us (and I do not think it is wasteful, nor do I think God thinks it is wasteful). He is LOVE, and we do not have to earn His love. Can you imagine a baby in the womb trying to figure out how to prepare himself or herself to be loved by his/her parents? The baby can not do so; neither can we. God freely gives His love "while we were yet sinners." Oh, on this journey, may I learn to listen with astonishment, joy and gratitude like Laubach did to Jesus' words of love.

No comments: