Thursday, December 19, 2013

Get Out of My Way; You're Blocking My Joy! -- Day 19 of Advent


Poor Mary and Joseph! Yesterday they finally made it down the hallway only to be blocked. Sometimes my journey to joy feels this way. I finally get somewhere and something (or someone!) is blocking my path…or at least that's the way it feels. Actually, this gate is protecting Mary and Joseph from the wild beast (aka the dog).


Don't they look so free today? However, I have had to rescue them multiple times from being eaten or rocked over (as they stand/kneel at the base of the rocking chair). At Christmas time I am more aware of how I count on life to be "perfect" before I can be joyful. God tells me to "slow down" and "be present" to people, and I see this as an obstacle, just like the gate above. After all, I am rushing to the next joyful experience.

In my case today, I was rushing to get the best seat (aka cafeteria bench) in the house to watch my granddaughter's play. She was the princess with her own solo -- proud grandma moment and no one, I mean NO ONE was going to get in my way of joyfully video-tapping her 15 minutes of fame. Of course, this would be the morning I was running late. I had to get the dog out to her dog run / outdoor kennel, and I was rushing. You're expecting this story to get gruesome, aren't you? No. Not this year. Last year, I had the same situation except I was rushing to get over to the post office where I was ringing the bells for the Salvation Army collection. Last year, I tripped and fell first hitting my knee (which I thought I broke), then my wrist (which I thought I broke), and finally my nose and mouth (which I thought I broke). Nothing was broken, but my lips were swollen three times their actual size and I rang the bells in that shape. (I must say I collected more money than I had ever done before!) I remembered that fall and the pain as my rushing turned into a slow walk. And, I made it just fine to my granddaughter's performance. In fact, the people who were a lot later than I was made it just fine to the performance and everyone was able to see. No need for pushing and shoving.

Interestingly, I also remembered a friend who blogged about wasting so much time with the video equipment that she really did not "see" her child. So, I tried diligently to just hold up the camera but to look, really look, with my eyes at my granddaughter and her class. It truly is possible to slow down, be present, and have joy all at the same time. I could name other "obstacles" but I think you get the picture…and I'll keep this short today. I know you have much to accomplish today, just like I do. Let's have some joy while we are at it. 

No comments: