Monday, December 23, 2013

In the Midst of Circumstances, Chaos, Confusion, Conflict, Comes Christmas -- Day 23 of Advent


Mary and Joseph are almost there. The fireplace is in sight. There's still the little matter of getting up to the mantle; nonetheless, that baby is coming. Christmas is coming. I can either keep my eyes on Christ and joyfully adore Him or let my eyes sink into the sin and sadness that surrounds me. I am not a Pollyanna…well, maybe I would like to be. We think of Pollyannas as people who only see good; therefore, these people are no help with the injustices in the world. That is a false picture of Pollyanna. A grouchy grinchy old man was clearly mean, but in the perseverance of Pollyanna's love, he softened. Seems like I remember a conflict in town. Thinking good of people did not stop Pollyanna from coming up with beneficial ideas in the midst of conflict.

I did not think I would be returning to Frank Laubach's letters (such a journey I thought I would take connecting his letters with each day of Advent!), but I find in his October 12 letter an illustration of how drawing close to God did not leave Laubach helpless to face the world: "And to think that less than a year ago we were writing about 'the most difficult place under the American flag, if not in the world!' [Lanao]….Worries have faded away like ugly clouds, and my soul rests in the sunshine of perpetual peace. I can lie down anywhere in this universe, bathed around by my own Father's Spirit. The very universe has come to seem so homey! I know only a little more about it than before, but that little is all! It is vibrant with the electric ecstasy of God!"

Laubach learned of great joy under pressure of great trial. Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" often shows us at Christmas concerts and services.  Henry Van Dyke wrote words for it that many know under the title of Hymn 89 -- "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee." We sang it this past Sunday, and I promptly wrote myself a note to include it in the blog because the hymn includes angels and God of glory. Singing it caused me to feel at peace.

Joyful, joyful, we adore thee, 
God of glory, Lord of love; 
Hearts unfold like flowers before thee, 
Opening to the sun above. 
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness; 
Drive the dark of doubt away. 
Giver of immortal gladness, 
Fill us with the light of day.

That's what God's glory brings to me: a melting of clouds of sin and sadness.



All thy works with joy surround thee, 
Earth and heaven reflect they rays, 
Stars and angels sing around thee, 
Center of unbroken praise. 


Field and forest, vale and mountain, 
Flowery meadow, flashing sea, 
Chanting bird and flowing fountain 
Call us to rejoice in thee. 

Thou art giving and forgiving, 
Ever blessing, ever blest, 
Well-spring of the joy of living, 
Ocean depth of happy rest! 
Thou our Father, Christ our brother, 
All who live in love are thine; 
Teach us how to love each other, 
Lift us to the joy divine. 

Yes. As I am taught how to love, I will have peace brought by Christ, remembered every Christmas, in the midst of circumstance, chaos, confusion and conflict. 

No comments: