Sunday, December 01, 2013

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Welcome to the First Day of Advent!


Words. They have such incredible power. Power to bless and power to hurt. I have spent the last fifteen minutes just trying to write this first paragraph -- trying to arrange the words in such a way that they truly express words in my heart, words of blessing. I meant my last post to be one of thankfulness, and, as far as I know that is how the post was read: no one expressed a critical word. It was only the composition teacher in me that saw how I should have rearranged certain paragraphs. On this first day of Advent when we light the candle of hope, I hope that my readers heard a voice of thankfulness even with sorrows that remain a mystery. It is the hope I have in Jesus that preserves my soul during days of sorrows that can not be easily explained. I am not currently in those dark days...but people I love are going through tough times. I would not trivialize what they are going through by writing as though thankfulness comes easy. Knowing that life can be a struggle, why then do we fall so easily into a critical spirit during this season for which Jesus is the reason?


Most of life does not look like a Christmas card; nonetheless, cards express a hope that all is well with family and friends. The person sending this Season's Greeting card sees beauty and peace. She is not thinking about raising the ire of folks who prefer to be greeted with "Merry Christmas." I know because  the card came out of my Christmas box along with two more cards shown below.


Not all of my cards look this way. I am searching high and low for beautiful cards that express the hope I have in my Savior as we celebrate His birth prophesied so long ago in the book of Isaiah.

"The people who have walked in darkness have seen a great light."

"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given."

The cards are out there, I know. I will find them (soon I hope). But, the cards here are lovely, and I will bless my friends and family as I write inside of them. Jesus is indeed the reason for this season and for these holy days. Jesus wants me to love not only my brethren but also my enemies. So when I am greeted with "Happy Holidays!" I am going to take it as a blessing. My bashing a Happy Holiday-er will never cause them to have a "Merry Christmas!" It is the love of our Abba Father (Daddy!); Christ, our hope of glory; and the joy of the Holy Spirit shining forth as light through our lives that God can use to woo people.


On this first day of Advent when we are reminded of the hope we have in Jesus, may you and I live and move and have our beings in Jesus so much so that His love, grace, mercy, peace, and all fruit of the Spirit overflows to all that we meet.  

No comments: