Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Lord is My Shepherd -- Joy on Day 21 of Advent


This is the envelope for one of my Christmas cards. It's beautiful. The entire card was designed by Susan Winget for the Lang company (no relationship, but I wish I was related -- I love their products).

Before I leave the Shepherds' Candle, and move on tomorrow to the Angels' Candle, I am reminded that the Lord is my shepherd.


My view of God is not meant to stay on Jesus as a baby, one sign that in His full divinity, He is also fully human. Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and was the perfect Shepherd. "I am the good Shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" (John 10:11).

Psalm 23 (22 in some of my international friends' Bibles) -- "The Lord is My Shepherd" is often said at services for the dead, but it is too often not remembered as a psalm for living joyfully here and now. A couple months ago, my classmates and I were challenged to make this psalm our own. I used to have my own students do this with poetry -- to write a poem modeled after the poem of some famous poet. It helped them not only write poetry but also to understand what the poet was saying.

I've received the forwarded emails about "Jesus is my shepherd; now that's relationship", and on through the psalm. The email somewhat does the analytical work for me. Exercises like these also make me realize that Jesus is not just a literal shepherd making me lie down in literal green pastures. He is 100 percent skillful at any job, and He is available to help me!

A friend knew I was struggling with some traveling issues. This is what she sent back to me:

"The Lord is my chauffeur. I am in utterly safe hands. He knows where I need to be; yet, he never hurries me. He helps me get myself together. He is unerring in his choice of road. In fact, he is famous for it. Even if I were caught up in a huge traffic jam or an accident, I would not have to worry for he always makes my ultimate welfare his priority. He would be there to calm me down and show me the right thing to do next. He packs an amazing picnic and lays it out in style. He always treats me with courtesy and respect--even in front of people who do not. He does more than I can ever ask of him. I know that I can rely on his capable and caring attention 24/7 and that I will travel with him always." (Thanks, Alison!)

What do you and I need help with today from our good shepherd, our chauffeur, our executive CEO, our Mother's Helper, our God who knows us and loves us and calls us His beloved sheep? He is there for us. "In His presence is the fullness of joy."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post Debbi :) And will be taking these words (especially the traveling part) with me when we venture to London...It is a good reminder that He is our Shepherd and gets us where we need to be and we are safe in his care. Thank you!

Michele

Deborah said...

Thank you, Michelle. You'll have to thank Ali for the traveling part. She is amazing at "festooning" Psalm 23. :D