Thursday, December 05, 2013

The Empty Stable -- Day 5 of Advent


This is my empty stable sitting atop of my fireplace mantle. The sight is rather jarring, is it not? I am accustomed to seeing a full stable, particularly at Christmas time. Also, if you have read my previous post "Where Are You Christmas?" on Monday, December 2, then you will know that I see a full stable every day of the year in a back bedroom. An empty stable is such a strange sight that it causes me constantly to reflect on Jesus, and I like that.

On April 22, 1930, Frank Laubach wrote: "The 'experiment' is interesting, although I am not very successful, thus far. The idea of God slips out of my sight for I suppose two-thirds of every day, thus far. This morning I started out fresh, by finding a rich experience of God in the sunrise. Then I tried to let him control my hands while I was shaving and dressing and eating breakfast. Now I am trying to let God control my hands as I pound the typewriter keys. If I could keep this morning up I should have a far higher average today than I have had for some time."

Sunrise, shaving, dressing, eating, typing...isn't interesting that we tend to look for God in only the BIG ways, the miraculous...but then again, each day is a miracle. Each day I can wake up, say "Hello, God!"; check out the patterns of frost outside my window, eat breakfast with Jesus, notice the empty stable. None of these activities took money or time away. (Not that I am disparaging a retreat with God; I will happily take any time away with God that comes along!) But, if the baby woke you up early this morning (or, in my case, the dog), or if your alarm did not go off as planned and you are running around trying to get yourself to school, a job, an appointment in time, we still can have Immanuel -- God with us. Actually, when I am running late, I do a whole lot better with Jesus than without Him.

Psalm 33: 18-22 -- "Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear Him,
On those who hope in His mercy,
To deliver their soul from death,
And to keep them alive in famine.
Our soul waits for the LORD;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in Him,
Because we have trusted in His holy name.
Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us,
Just as we hope in You.

How do we view God? I did not know this was where I was headed this morning until I sat down with my Bible and read Psalm 33 and Luke 24: 5b -- "'Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen!'" I trust that Jesus is God of the living; His Holy Spirit is with me daily. Jesus not only saves me from death, He also keeps me alive in famine. When many struggle to have power and to take what others have for fear that they themselves will not have enough, I can know I am safe. I have Immanuel, God with me.

My empty stable causes me to ponder: What if Jesus had never been born? Is my God only a baby in a stable? Is my God alive?

He is alive; He is more than a baby in a stable.

My hope is based on nothing less!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Debbi...last night after work I got all the way back to the office after meeting a client, only to realize something of great importance had fallen out of the file before I got into the car, requiring me to go back to the original spot and get a flashlight out in hopes to find the item of concern. It was COLD, late, and I had dinner guests arriving in about 30 minutes to my house. I found myself rather "amped-up" and wondered what it would take to be "with God" in that moment. this was a good reminder :)