Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Wait a Second: I Need to Pull Myself Together

Every time I write, I seem to find myself in an ironic situation. I am in a bit of a hurry to finish this blog on "Slowing Down." Yesterday, I practiced with the Wholeness Tradition (yes, it is called by other names; next week I will explain why I choose to call it "Wholeness") by slowing down.  However, I am writing about yesterday on a day when my schedule is packed from eight in the morning until ten at night. I am feeling the pressure to hurry. Life never goes well when I hurry or when my schedule is packed. I have forgotten to pick up children at soccer fields and swimming pools. Every accident I have ever been involved in has been caused by someone in a hurry, either me or the other driver.  

Last week I slammed my head into this tree branch. The granddaughters were at my house, the dog needed to be exercised and then put into her kennel, and I was in a hurry. I quickly threw the ball for the dog; she retrieved it back and forth, and as I went to get the ball from under a bush (it is sometimes hard to tell who or what is actually doing the fetching), I did not realize I was standing so close to the tree. I whipped around like a tornado and found I did not have tornado powers. I flew backwards and hit the ground when I smacked head first into the branch. My hurrying only took more of my time as I stumbled around putting the dog into her outdoor yard, went inside to apply a cold wash cloth to my head (my mother's cure for all ills), and sat down to do an Internet check on head injuries (I was fine). 

As a mother of four children, I know the times come when moving fast and I do mean fast are necessary. Corraling four children when one breaks free to run into the street requires the skills of Superwoman. But I think those times are more rare than we make them out to be. So yesterday as I walked down the hallway, I slowed down the pace and my heart rate followed my lead. Again, aerobic exercise or cardio walking is the time and place to work on my heart; rushing because I am stressing does not lead to wholeness and wellness.

I had the opportunity to squeeze in one more activity yesterday, an activity I had been trying to accomplish for a couple of weeks. However, to do so would shortchange all my other activities and even hinder the additional activity; therefore,  I did not add it. 

The first image up above came from a blog written in 2011. I can not vouch for the rest of the posts in this blog since this is the first time I have ever read anything from it, but in this post, the author makes the argument that our busyness is destroying our relationships. It is a good read, and I leave you with the link here. Busy is the new fine -- great title, yes? Sad title, but oh so accurate. I think I will continue to practice slowing down today by ending here, in plenty of time to get ready for my next appointment. :D

No comments: