Saturday, January 04, 2014

Visions, Intentions, and Means for This Year's Journey

This is the second time I have pulled up my blog to write. The first time, I sat and sat and sat, until I gave up and logged out. Instead of sitting with no thoughts in mind, I did an Internet search on how to get to my granddaughter's birthday party at a pizza place forty-five minutes away. I had a vision of being at that party, but I also had another vision: It was of me lost two years ago coming home from that same pizza place. This time I am going with directions in hand. My RSVP (response to attend) signaled my intentions to follow through on my vision. All well and good, but I could have all the good intentions in the world, yet without the means and directions to do so, I will still be staying home.


All of this reminds me that our family's Magi are still on there way to see Jesus. They saw the "star in the east" and they had come "to worship him." If they had seen the star and done nothing more about it, their vision of the star would have been interesting, but that's about it. No adventure. No stories to tell in the future (people would soon tire of hearing how they saw a star). They intended to do something about seeing that star, and they did. They had the means to travel, but once they arrived in Jerusalem, they needed more: they needed directions (Matthew 2:1 does state that these were wise men). Without those means, all their visions and intentions would not have led them to a house in Bethlehem where "they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshipped him" (Matthew 2:11).

Our "wise men" are experiencing some rough terrain. Rough terrain has knocked more than a few off course from their visions and intentions. These Magi will make it to their destination in a couple more days. Only time will tell whether I follow through on my vision and good intentions over the next month.

I'm happy to share my journey with you, and I hope you, too, have a vision for the months ahead. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Debbi for this reminder :) Ironically (but, of course no surprisingly :)) I have just outlined something similar for a future blog post! God's collective voice I suppose :)

Deborah said...

Michelle, just prior to the day that you posted this comment, I had been thinking that I was doing something wrong because we didn't wind up with similar thoughts in our posts. :D

Our similarities may also have to do with our reading of the same books at the same time ;-)