Monday, January 06, 2014

Contemplating Epiphany and Hope

I imagine I heard the word "Epiphany" while attending church when I was young; however, the word did not have any meaning for me until I took literature classes in college. In literature, epiphanies break forth in a character's life (or in the reader's mind) with the brilliance of a bright light in a dark room. A character is suddenly aware of knowledge about which he or she was previously in the dark. In chapter thirty-six of Pride and Prejudice, Jane Bingley says, "Till this moment I never knew myself." Often an epiphany causes us to realize as Jane did that we have been "blind, partial, prejudiced, absurd." 

It is difficult to have an epiphany when we move through our lives at such a rapid pace. Contemplation, to stay still long enough and quiet enough to give some thought attention, to meditate on it, enables me to change. I want change; I want to grow into a more loving, kind, thoughtful person. I need time with God to change. Yesterday, it did not take a lot of time for me to contemplate Epiphany. I spent five to ten minutes and then the thoughts just kept coming throughout the day. Yet, contemplation does take a beginning, a willingness to be quiet and thought-filled.  

In Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, the main character, John (the Savage) insists, "it is natural to believe in God when you're alone -- quite alone, in the night, thinking about death

Mustapha Mond, Controller of this brave new world, responds, "But people are never alone now. We make them hate solitude; and we arrange their lives so that it's almost impossible for them ever to have it." In the final chapter, John pays the ultimate price in a society where "nothing costs enough" -- the people don't have to deny themselves in any way to get the things they want, and they don't want anything they've not been conditioned to want. 

Huxley wrote twenty years after the book came out that he wished he had provided the Savage a third alternative, in that neither culture in the book was worth living for. Epiphanies without hope lead to deep dark pits -- a possible reason why people, not only in Brave New World, but also in our brave new world avoid contemplation and solitude. 

The Epiphany of over two thousand years ago brought with it Hope. God revealed Himself to Magi, wise men, men from the East. Not Jewish. 
Gentiles. What amazing hope I have in God who esteems, values and respects, women (as well as men, but in those days, the status of women was nil), who esteems shepherds (when no one in that culture would have), who esteems and loves outsiders (God draws them to Himself and guides them).

Yesterday's time of contemplation was not difficult. Perhaps it will be in the future, but tomorrow I write on practices of Wholeness. :D 

No comments: