Friday, December 08, 2017

Day 6 -- Mend on This Sixth Day of Advent

I have planned to write this particular blog piece for quite awhile -- long before Advent, and basically after family members scolded me about my favorite hoodie.


Seriously, I don't know why they had such a problem with it. (By the way, I'm wearing a pink shirt underneath. This is a G-rated blog.)

So, yes, maybe some people would throw away clothing when it reaches this stage; however, I do my best to avoid adding to landfills for as long as possible. My sister (Rebecca, for those who know I have five sisters) said, "Well, then, at least let me mend it. Where is your sewing machine?" At that time, I did not have a sewing machine, nor did I have a sewing machine when I finally did mend it.


My sister's comments caused me to think about why I had not mended it before. Laziness and lack of time were two of my reasons. As I thought longer about it, I had to confess to myself that I was comfortable with my sweatshirt as it was. Uh-oh, with thoughts like that, I knew I was entering dangerous territory. Sure enough, I also started thinking about how the "air-conditioned" hoodie had become a part of my identity, my personality. You can imagine where I went with these thoughts. Too often I don't mend something, whether it is a physical object or a relational issue because I get comfortable with the ways things are. Or, I might have to be the one to change to mend a relational issue, or I may have to admit that rips are not the best.

I did fully mend my hoodie sweatshirt, and I pricked my finger doing it. Mending it was worth the effort because I can wear it again and not get tangled up in all the holes! Granted, to compare mending a piece of clothing to mending a relationship can only go so far. Eventually, I will not be able to mend my favorite piece of clothing any longer. I noticed a small hole just yesterday.

Like relationships, holes are easier to mend when they are small. Yet I understand that relationships are much more challenging to mend. Some relationships have to be given up rather than mended. Then, it may be a matter of mending one's own body, soul, spirit, heart, any combination or all four. That kind of mending is worth every effort.

Advent marks the coming of Love. "God is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18). This is a mending better than sewing up and saving a torn hoodie. You are loved!







No comments: