Sunday, December 17, 2017

Day 15 -- Light on This Fifteenth Day of Advent

The word "light" shows up on an Advent word list every year. I get it. How can it not? However, it becomes more challenging each year to think of a new image. Perhaps we don't need new images, but without a challenge to think "How else can I show light?", we easily fall into complacency.

(Yikes! I looked up the definition of complacency -- "smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements".)

So, I thought and thought and thought. I decided to show that light comes in colors, too. I was going to dig through my boxes to find the multi-colored Christmas tree light set. Before I did that, I also wanted to see if I could get the colors of a candle flame to show up in a photo. On the way to lighting the candle, I noticed the candle lighter glowed white, yellow, and blue. I liked the picture so much, I chose it for my #adventword2017 #light.


This circumstance inspires me to look for light in the unexpected: people, places, and things --  not to replace the Light of the world (John 8:12), but to remind me to be in constant communication with the Lover of my soul (as Charles Wesley originally penned in a famous hymn, and now known through Hillsong lyrics).

As I sat in a fellowship service today, I noticed light on the ceiling. That was another way to picture light that I had not thought of: reflected light. Plenty of new ideas for "light" exist, if only I have eyes to see.

Past pictures of light for your enjoyment --





These latter two pictures were in my Day 6 post on "Light and Hope".


I know, I have pictures of two candles lit and 4 candles lit and today is the Sunday for 3 candles to be lit. Nonetheless, enjoy the light! 

No comments: