Monday, February 05, 2018

Gift Books on the Top Middle Shelf in the Blue Room (and The World According to Mr. Rogers)

Ah, yes. Gift books. When you graduate from high school, you tend to get five copies of the latest in gift books for the graduate. Or, if you are the giver and you do not know what to give a graduate, but there is a gift book at hand, then that is what he or she will receive (even though they probably would have rather had the cash). This sounds harsh, especially since I happen to have a shelf of gift books.


However, this top shelf has a short vertical size which is perfect for gift books although I suppose some people, not me, would put knick knacks there. I do have two small floral paintings from Russia which hide audio tapes (yes, tapes) and CDs which came out before the time of podcasts.

Furthermore, I actually like some of these books and the book which I just read: The World According to Mr. Rogers is one worth buying (if the price is not outrageous) and keeping.


I have been fond of Mr. Rogers (now deceased) since first discovering his children's television program in the late seventies. His program moved slowly, gently, and thoughtfully. A friend mentioned the other day, "Mr. Rogers never talked down to the children."

My favorite Mr. Rogers's quote comes from when you have been hit with tragedy: "Look for the helpers." My favorite Mr. Rogers song is also in this book: "It's You I Like." Here are just two other new-to-me quotes from Mr. Rogers (although I may have heard them once before during the show):

"Some days, doing 'the best we can' may still fall short of what we would like to be able to do, but life isn't perfect -- on any front -- and doing what we can with what we have is the most we should expect of ourselves or anyone else."

"Confronting our feelings and giving them appropriate expression always takes strength, not weakness. It takes strength to acknowledge our anger, and sometimes more strength yet to curb the aggressive urges anger may bring and to channel them into nonviolent outlets. It take strength to face our sadness and to grieve and to let our grief and our anger flow in tears when they need to. It takes strength to talk about our feelings and to reach out for help and comfort when we need it."

I'd love to see this book turned into a perennial flip page desk calendar where I could see a different Mr. Roger quote each day.

As for those books on the gift book shelf? I'll try to make a list in the comments section later. For now, I've discovered some of them which I used all the time in the classroom can now find a new home; others, like the graduate book,...ummm, dare I re-gift it? As for the rest, they may stay there. But, what am I going to do with those Mars-Hill audio tapes?

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

Mr. Rogers has lots of great wisdom for parents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A practice to go with this book? As Dallas Willard was fond of saying: "Take the next right step you know to take." If that next step falls short, know as Mr. Rogers states: "You have done what you could with what you had" (actually that's in the New Testament bible as well about the woman who "did what she could." And, know that God says, "It's you I like."

1 comment:

Deborah said...

It has taken me awhile, but here is that list of gift books shown in the picture:
On top left: Robert Burns Night -- gift from daughter who went to Scotland. Just realized she left her receipts in the book. Haha.
L. to R. across:
Did You See That? Funny book
Been There Should've Done That --Used this all the time with my high school students
Live and Learn and Pass It On -- Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at this one again.
P.S. I love You -- ditto above
Congratulations Graduate -- needs to be re-gifted
A.W. Tozer's Little Instruction Book -- one of those books that would work well as a flip calendar
1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know -- needs to be re-gifted
A Book of Joy (Thomas Kinkade) -- short in length, short in size, pretty, and fits on the shelf
Traveling Light for Mothers (Max Lucado) -- needs to be re-gifted (if I think what he says to moms is good)
Seasons of Life Summer -- I don't know where this one came from
3 John Maxwell books on leadership -- probably could be re-gifted...if I have something to fill the space
Persuasion by Jane Austen -- yup, the whole book, but the print is tiny as you can imagine

That's about half of them. I have to go to a computer meeting so I'll finish up later.