Monday, December 05, 2016

Ninth Day of Advent: Commit


I figured there would be lots of wedding pictures for the word "commit" so I wanted something different. White water rafting. When you get into a raft and you head down a river, you are committed. This is not an amusement park ride (although once one is rolling on an amusement park ride, it's best to stay committed there as well).


There's a great deal of joy in white water rafting...if you're not petrified with fear, but if your guide slips down into the raft (as ours did -- the big guy is not our guide; the petite woman behind me is) or falls out (as the male guide did in another raft) or if you hit the rocks the wrong way (thankfully, we did not) then someone or everyone goes into the water.



It helps to pull together, but there are times when everything churns and splashes.




I look at these pictures now and think, "Wow! Maybe this was a bit above my skill level!" But, I also look back with gladness that I committed to that trip. I need to remember this when a commitment to kindness, courage, gentleness, beauty, goodness, love, faith, and hope look like something above my skill level. I also remember my Guide does not leave me, nor forsake me. Incarnated Jesus may sleep in the boat, but he does not accidentally fall into the boat or out of the boat. He knows how my life's rafting trip ends, and it ends well, safely in his kingdom. He is committed in love to each one of us. 

No comments: